and possibly raise the feature level of a VOB on the local host:
the feature level of a MultiSite replica:
the feature level of a MultiSite VOB family:
The chflevel command raises the feature level of a VOB. A feature level is an integer that is incremented at each ClearCase and ClearCase LT release that introduces features that affect VOBs created in an earlier ClearCase or ClearCase LT release. The purpose of raising feature levels is to make all features in a release available to users of the VOB that was created in the earlier release.
Every ClearCase and ClearCase LT release is associated with a feature level. The Release Notes for your product provide information about which releases correspond to which feature levels.
Raising the Feature Levels of VOBs
To raise the feature level of a VOB, use the chflevel command with the –auto option at the host running the VOB server.
In some circumstances—for example, when you describe a VOB—you will notice MultiSite terms such as VOB family. This kind of information is of interest only to MultiSite users.
Raising the Feature Levels of MultiSite VOBs
Raising the feature level of a MultiSite VOB prevents features from being used at one replica that are not meaningful to other replicas that are at a lower feature level. Thus, feature level control makes it unnecessary to upgrade all replicas in a VOB family to a new ClearCase release simultaneously.
Every VOB replica has a feature level, and every VOB family has a feature level:
- The replica feature level is the feature level that is equal to or less than the feature level of the ClearCase release installed on the host where the replica's server runs.
- The family feature level is the feature level that is equal to or less than the lowest replica feature level found among members of the VOB family.
You must raise the replica feature levels before raising the VOB family feature level. After raising the feature level of replicas in the VOB family, raise the VOB family feature level to the lowest feature level of any replica in the family.
For more information, see the Administrator's Guide for Rational ClearCase MultiSite.
You must have one of the following identities:
An error occurs if one or more of these objects are locked: VOB, VOB replica.
(Replicated VOBs only) A replica whose feature level is to be raised must master its own replica object. The family feature level can be raised only through the replica that masters the VOB object.
(Replicated VOBs only) If the current family feature level is less than or equal to 1, the first replica whose feature level is raised must be the replica that masters the VOB object.
OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS
- Lists each VOB on the local host, annotated
with its replication state, family feature level, and replica feature level.
For unreplicated VOBs only, this option offers to raise the feature levels.
To raise the feature levels of replicated VOBs, use the command synopses shown
- When specified with the –auto option,
this option raises the feature levels of unreplicated VOBs without prompting
When specified with the –family option, this option forces MultiSite replicas on the local host to the feature level specified by –family without prompting. This option may fail to force the family feature level unless you also specify –override.
- –rep·lica feature-level replica-selector
- Raises the feature level of the specified
- Overrides the check that ensures that the
feature level specified by –family is less than or
equal to the lowest feature level found among replicas in the family. When
specified with the –force option, forcibly raises the
VOB family feature level without prompting. When specified without –force, –override
lists replicas that are below the specified family feature level.
Note: Do not use the –force and –override options together unless you are certain that all replicas are at the feature level specified by –family.
- –fam·ily feature-level vob-selector
- Raises the feature level of the specified
MultiSite VOB family.
- Raise the feature levels of any unreplicated VOBs running on the local host without prompting for confirmation and list the feature levels of any replicated VOBs on this host.
- Raise the feature level of the replica rome to 3.
- Raise the feature level of the VOB family \tmp\testvob to 3.
- Raise the family feature level of the current VOB to 3. Override the check to ensure that family feature level 3 is no higher than the lowest replica feature level found among replicas in this VOB family.